Summer will soon be in full swing in Augusta, which, for us, means saving all the pennies we can for the ice cream truck. This spring, we plan on hiking the swamplands and getting lost in outdoor music before the Georgia heat sets in. So, if you’re like us and want to soak up the best Augusta has to offer without having to miss out on any Choco Tacos, here are 10 things for $10 or less happening around Augusta’s River Region this spring. Be sure to check out our Free Things to Do page for more year-round suggestions!
Local Pro Tip: Grab the fam and spend a warm afternoon at Pelican's Snoballs. Try one of 100 different shaved ice flavors and start a friendly game of cornhole or giant Connect4. Bring your dogs... they have a peanut butter pup cup!
1. Super Awesome Storytime: Bring the kids to The Book Tavern for a morning of fun in downtown. Local readers select a special book and after the reading, kids can join in a fun demonstration or make a craft. Every Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. Cost per person: FREE
2. Gertrude Herbert: Don’t miss local art exhibits featuring artists Tom Crowther and Staci Swider through May 25. Then, Bridget Conn will begin her exhibition "Language Acquisition" on June 8 and it will be in place through July 20. Cost per person: FREE
3. Music in the Park: Bring a chair or blanket, and enjoy local jazz, rock, shag, and bluegrass every Thursday evening from May until July in North Augusta’s Maude Edenfield Park. Cost per person: FREE
4. Tuesday Night Movie Series: Come enjoy a variety of eclectic movie selections (ranging from rated PG to R) that you can’t find on Netflix at Augusta’s Public Library Headquarters. Added bonus: you may also check out a favorite book! Cost per person: FREE
5. Art Night in Augusta: Pink Slips Analog will host this event, which is intended for those 21 and older and is an opportunity for the public to come draw, paint and screen print with local artists. Bring your own supplies and beverages. This event occurs each third Thursday of the month. Cost: FREE
6. Evenings in Appleby Garden Music Series: Sing, swing, and sway along to an eclectic musical mix. Bring chairs or a blanket and a picnic dinner. Cost: FREE
7. Fourth Friday Dance: Dance the night away with the teachers and staff of The Ballroom Dance Center on the fourth Friday of the month. With a variety of musical selections ranging from ballroom to rhythm, to West Coast swing, and contemporary music, there’s a dance for everyone. All levels of dancers welcome and no partners are necessary. So, dust off your dancing shoes, and meet up with some of Augusta’s most fabulous toe-tappers. Cost per person: $10
8. Sundays at the Greenjackets: There’s never been a better time to take your kids out to the ballgame than Sunday at the GreenJackets, especially if they’re a member of the Jr. Jackets Kids Club! With joining as easy as filling out an online registration (which is $15 per child for the season), it’s hard to give up benefits like FREE Sunday games, pre-game catch on the field, and more! With registration, your child will also receive a FREE Child’s Pass to Edventure Children’s Museum in Columbia, SC. Cost per person: FREE for kids 12 and under, $8 general admission
9. Swamp Saturday Hike: Enjoy a guided, leisurely hike through approximately two-and-a-half miles of nature park trails on the first Saturday of each month. View the variety of wildlife and learn about the diverse plant life and importance of urban wetland ecology. Please wear comfortable closed-toe shoes and bring water to drink. Space is limited, registration required. Cost: $2 per person, free for children ages three and under
10. Community Yoga with Bethany Smith: Enjoy outdoor yoga for all levels at 9 a.m. in the pavilion at Boeckh Park in Hammonds Ferry. Cost: Donation only. (Proceeds go to a Compassion International sponsored child and any funds left over go to the local non-profit, I’m Aware.)